Role: Radio Plugging & Club Promotions Assistant
Department: PR & Promotions
Reports into: Radio Plugger & Club Promotions lead
Job type: Part-time position
Defected Records is an independent British record label specialising in house music recordings, an internationally syndicated broadcasting platform, events, publishing, marketing, and artist booking. Established in 1999 by former AM:PM and Cooltempo A&R Simon Dunmore, Defected has a number of sub-labels including DFTD, 4 To The Floor, Glitterbox, Classic Music Company, Stay True Sounds, Faith, D4 D4NCE, and The Remedy Project. Defected also owns and manages over 30 catalogues for heritage house imprints. The Defected catalogue includes singles from artists such as Bob Sinclar, CamelPhat, Kings of Tomorrow, Masters At Work, Dennis Ferrer, Mike Dunn, MK and more recently The Martinez Brothers, Boys Noize, Peggy Gou, Jamie Jones, Honey Dijon, Gorgon City, Purple Disco Machine, Vintage Culture, and many more.
Defected run events globally including stages at major music festivals and standalone club nights, as well as residencies in Ibiza since 2003. They also host Defected festivals in London, Croatia, and Malta, drawing people from the UK, Australia, North America, South Africa and all corners of Europe. Defected’s mission is to service our community whilst helping artists build longer lasting, more impactful, and more profitable careers.
We’re looking for a well-connected, tenacious and dance music obsessed Radio & DJ Promotions specialist to join the PR & Promotion team at Defected Records in a part-time assistant role, with the opportunity to progress. You’ll be working within a small but dynamic and growing team of Promotions specialists, reporting into the Radio Plugger & Club Promotions lead. You’ll be working across Defected’s portfolio of world-renowned dance music labels, both established and developing, as Defected continues its evolution into the New Era Music Company.
The successful candidate will nurture and maintain relationships at radio with a focus on community and regional networks, while assisting the Radio Plugger on national radio promotions and admin. You will also help to manage the in-house DJ promo pool at Defected, maintaining existing relationships with international dance music icons while building relationships with the DJ stars of the present and future. Essentially, we’re looking for someone who already has an established network within the dance music industry and a background in radio - a ‘people person’ with a natural affinity for making new connections, who’s fully immersed in dance music and nightlife.
- Nurture and maintain Defected’s (and your own) existing relationships at relevant radio stations in order to secure plays and promotion for our records
- Identify and build new relationships at relevant radio stations in order to expand the promotions reach for our various labels
- Manage logistics for and attend in-studio promotional features and opps
- Work with our Radio Plugger & A&R team on the launch of new labels for the Defected group, identifying key targets for radio play and building contacts lists
- Create and manage promotions folders and mailers using Dropbox & Inflyte
- Attend relevant nightlife events to stay up to date with club trends and grow our industry network
Required skills & experience:
- An established network within dance music radio and the wider industry both in the UK and internationally
- A strong existing set of DJ, presenter, radio producer and label contacts
- Previous experience working in dance music promotions, in a promotions agency setting and/or radio station preferred, but not essential
- Specialist knowledge of dance and house music history, and a keen ear for new music
- Natural affinity for networking and making new connections
- Strong time management and organisational skills required in order to juggle various label projects and releases concurrently
If you see yourself in this role and have the required experience, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by emailing your CV and a short covering letter to email@example.com with the headline: ‘Radio Plugging application’. Thank you and good luck!